SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST RULES 2014
Scholarships will be awarded to the sons and daughters of members of those Laborers local unions participating as sponsors of the Mike Quevedo Sr. Scholarship Tournament and affiliated with the Southern California District Council of Laborers.
These scholarships must be used for study at any accredited U.S. College or University or certified vocational trade school or institute. The Mike Quevedo Sr. Scholarship Fund will not impose restrictions of any kind on the course of study. Recipients may accept any other grants or awards that do not rule out scholarship aid or other sources. Recipients will be limited to one (1) scholarship from the Fund.
Who may apply:
Sons and daughters of Laborers may apply for the scholarships. The parent of the applicant must be a member of a local union affiliated with the Southern California District Council of Laborers. In those cases where the qualifying parent has passed away, the parent had to be a member one (1) year prior to the date of death.
Applicants should be recent High School Graduates of public, private or parochial schools who are planning to attend a qualified institution anywhere in the United States during the academic year and who meet the academic requirements for an entrance into the institution of their choice. Scholarships will be awarded by academic merit as well as other qualifications and considerations. Applications will be accepted between January 1, 2014 and March 31, 2014.
Upon receipt of the application and required forms, the SCDCL Mike Quevedo, Sr. Scholarship Fund will submit the application for judging to the University Scholarship Selection Committee. Apart from verifying the eligibility of the applicant, The SCDCL Mike Quevedo, Sr. Scholarship Fund will not exercise any choice among the various applicants or indicate in any way that one applicant should be favored over another.
Based on factors used in awarding scholarships, the University Scholarship Selection Committee will submit to the SCDCL Mike Quevedo, Sr. Scholarship Fund the list of the finalists to be awarded scholarships.
Scholarship winners will be notified by the SCDCL Mike Quevedo, Sr. Scholarship Fund. The checks will be deposited in the winning students’ names at the college or university they plan to attend.
All the following items must be received by March 31, 2014.
- The application: to be filled out and returned by the applicant (include all items asked for on application). - Download the Application -
- Transcripts (current to date) filled out by the high school principal or person designated by the principal and returned directly to the SCDCL Mike Quevedo Sr. Scholarship Fund.
- Letters of recommendations: applicants should submit one to three letters of recommendation giving information about their character and ability. These may be from teachers, community leaders, family friends or others who know the applicant. Please submit the letter(s) of recommendation with the application.
- Photograph: a recent color photograph, preferably two inches by three inches (2″ X 3″), with the applicant’s name written on the back. The photo should be clear enough to print in the Laborers’ publications.
- All applicants must submit a letter from the local union verifying the parent’s membership status.
It is the responsibility of the applicant to see to it that all the above items and items listed on Application are received on time and that they are sent to:
Armando Esparza, Chairman
SCDCL Mike Quevedo, Sr. Scholarship Fund
4399 Santa Anita Ave., Ste. 204
El Monte, CA 91731